Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What Does the Fox Say? (Edited Villanelle -style format)*

I hear the sounds but cannot convey
Is that a screech, a bleep, a tweek?
I ask around hopefully- "What does the fox say?"

No one knows or no one can portray,
Even Google has held her peace,
Yet, there must be a sound that we cannot convey.

I toss and turn at night, and ponder throughout the day-
I worry about this question- I will continue to seek
I resume my search- "What does the fox say?"

Maybe Dora can help, her friendship with him might give her some sway,
But Swiper is honest to being a sneak.
We hear his voice but the sound we cannot convey.

Perhaps the media has some information to relate,
Fox News- you lost your chance to avoid critique.
I am alone in my quest for "What does the fox say?"

I have reached my wits and choose a different way-
I ask the fox himself, still knowing the odds are bleak.
I hear a response, but I cannot convey
"What does the fox say?"
www.cartoonwatcher.com

*This line and the general idea of this poem is inspired by the song "What Does the Fox Say?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tzivya! I think this updated version of the poem works really well! You changed the end rhymes very smoothly into the villanelle rhyme scheme. I love the lightheartedness of the poem.
    One technical details that could be improved even further- the line starting with "Maybe Dora can help..." sounded a little bit too full of words and I found myself rushing unnaturally to finish the line. Maybe you could switch it to: "Maybe Dora can help, her fox friend might obey"
    Nice poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we talked about this in class, I won't comment much here, but I did like seeing the revisions. We can talk about this soon during our forthcoming meeting.

    ReplyDelete